In 1882, William Moon started Southside Market by raising and slaughtering animals on FM 1704 in Elgin, TX. He carried the meat into town by horse-drawn wagon and sold it door-to-door. He had to sell it fresh or lose it to spoilage. Therefore, the Smoked Sausage and BBQ was created simply from having fresh meat and no refrigeration. In 1886, Moon opened his first brick and mortar store on Central Ave. In 1908, he sold the business to Lee Wilson who continued to serve the Elgin community as the small town butcher shop that sold BBQ in the back.
Tools of the trade – Southside Market butcher shop at 109 Central, Elgin